I happen to live in an area that is a pure blizzard 4 months of the year. There is certainly no shortage of snow in Ohio! But I know there are tons of children out there in warmer places that have never experienced snow! No Snow for Snowballs? No Sweat! Here are some great winter activities you can do with 5 different kinds of snowless snowballs for an indoor snowball fight!
WHAT TO DO:
1. Blow up a bag of white balloons only 3-4 inches in diameter. These are fun for a mock snowball fight. The children can tap them back and forth at each other.
2. Fill several children’s crew socks with….another sock, a crumpled up plastic bag, or handfuls of polyfill or cotton balls. Secure the end with a rubber band. These snowballs would also be fun for a mock snowball fight, or maybe a game of toss and catch. Or throw them at a target (my kids love to hear them thump against a tree trunk). Toss them up in the air and try to catch them in a hat, no hands!
3. Cut or tear a white sheet into long strips. Wrap the strips around themselves in a circular pattern and secure the end with a dot of liquid glue. No glue? Just tuck the end back into the ball securely. How far can you throw these snowballs with a buddy? Furthest throw wins! Play a game of snowball dodge ball!
4. Pull apart several cotton balls using those Super Fingers! Mash several of the pulled-apart cotton balls into a fluffy ball of “snow.” This one is fun with younger children! Who can blow these snowballs across a long table from one end to the other? Can they stack and squeeze several to build a mini snowman?
5. Just whip up a batch of fake snow compliments of Momma’s Fun World! Your kids can have some sensory fun making snowballs, playing with them, crushing them, and starting all over again.
The best part? You can enjoy all of these snowballs any time of year and in any climate!
SKILL AREAS ADDRESSED: coordination, grasp, motor control, sensory integration
Want to take a closer look at the skills kids are using in this activity? Check out our Clinical Closeup page, where we break down the skills listed below in terms everyone can understand.
Looking for more inspiration?
Latest posts by Pam Braley (see all)
- Developmental Skills: Preventing the Summer Slide - May 3, 2021
- Protected: I Spy With a Twist (Members Only) - September 4, 2020
- 10 CLASSIC GAMES FOR THE BACKYARD - July 7, 2015
[…] a snow angel on the rug or in the grass. -Stomp through a pile of pillows/cushions. -Try one of our ideas for snowless snowballs! -Pull or push a friend, sibling, or parent in a laundry basket to cross the finish […]
[…] snowball fights are a must and so much fun, put away the breakables and then create your own snowballs using one of these ideas from The Inspired Treehouse, or how about putting in some learning with a […]