I have jumpers in this house. My kids jump on beds, off the chairs, couches, stairs…anything they find their little bodies can fly from! This gave me a great idea for our ocean theme. Let’s make some waves! This is a great movement activity for body awareness, motor control, and proprioception. Older children will find it a fun challenge and little ones will simply love watching their animals jump and fly.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Ocean animal figurines, trampoline – if you do not have access to a trampoline, a bed or some couch cushions thrown onto the floor will work just as well.
WHAT TO DO: Allow your child to wake up his body by jumping freely on the trampoline for 5 minutes. This will provide feedback to all his muscles, promoting motor control and focus, as well as providing some amazing vestibular input which helps with balance! Once your little one has worked out his wiggles, place one or several ocean figurines on the trampoline and tell your child he is going to “make waves.” Encourage him to have some fun jumping and moving his body to do the following:
1. Make big waves so the animals jump into the air on the trampoline (regular, consistent jumps)
2. Make soft waves so the animals “swim” around the trampoline (tiny, soft, small jumps)
3. Make storm waves so the animals jump out of the water completely off the trampoline (huge, hard jumps)
4. Make a calm sea! See if he can walk so quietly across the trampoline that the animals do not move at all!
HOW TO CHANGE IT UP:
-Let the hands and arms in on the fun! Encourage your child to sit beside the trampoline and make the different kinds of waves with his hands.
SKILL AREAS ADDRESSED: Balance, motor control, proprioception, sensory integration, trunk stability, visual motor integration
Want to take a closer look at the skills kids are using in this activity? Check out our Clinical Closeup page, where we break down the skills listed below in terms everyone can understand.
Looking for more inspiration?
Latest posts by Lauren Drobnjak (see all)
- Teaching Kids How to Kick a Ball - September 10, 2018
- Swimming Tips for Sensory Kids & Reluctant Swimmers - August 12, 2018
- Hardware Store Finds: DIY Games & Activities for Kids! - July 23, 2018