The Hopscotch Game!
In my opinion, there is no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than to head outside for some active play! Run around, get sweaty and dirty, laugh and enjoy with some fun gross motor activities! Here is a suggestion for a game that will involve everyone in some gross motor fun.
WHAT YOU NEED: Sidewalk chalk (damp chalk is easier to write with), a small rock
WHAT TO DO: Draw a hopscotch board on the driveway with your trusty sidewalk chalk. In each square, write a cue for a question that will invite conversation and positive, heart-warming answers. Here are some suggestions:
- What is one thing that you love about me?
- What is something I did that made you happy today?
- What is your favorite feature of mine (my smile, my eyes, my strong hugs, etc)?
- What is your favorite thing to do during quiet time with me?
- What is your favorite game to play with me?
- What is one word that you would use to describe me?
- What do you look forward to doing with our family?
- What is your favorite food that I make or that we eat together?
- What is your favorite song that I sing?
- What is your favorite memory with me so far?
- What is your favorite book that I read to you?
Have your child roll the small rock for you. Maneuver through the hopscotch course to the square where the rock landed. Answer the question about your favorite things about your child. This will encourage her to be more open and honest when it’s her turn to answer the questions about you! Continue taking turns until you have each hit every square!
My kiddos loved this activity. Here are some of the answers I got! They love my hugs. Their favorite food I make is cake. I made them happy today by taking them to school. One word to describe me was pretty. Favorite song I sing to them is Moon, Moon, Moon by Laurie Berkner. This was so fun, and hearing little bits of appreciation from them made me feel so good about being a mama!
HOW TO CHANGE IT UP:
-The questions above are just examples and are geared more toward the older child. If you have a toddler, try putting action words in each square (give me a hug, one big kiss, run and knock me over in a big hug, give your sister/brother a kiss, say “I love you!”).
SKILL AREAS ADDRESSED: Gross motor skills, balance, cognitive skills, social skills
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter, a weekly round-up of our favorite posts delivered right to your inbox! Simply enter your email address in the box in the sidebar and click “Subscribe”!
Looking for more great gross motor activities for kids? Check these out!
Latest posts by Lauren Drobnjak (see all)
- Rainbow Activities for Kids: Build a Rainbow! - February 26, 2023
- Gross Motor Color Match Game - February 21, 2023
- Valentines Fine Motor Activities: Punching Hearts Game - January 24, 2023
[…] Gross Motor Activities: Show Me Some Love Hopscotch […]
[…] || Show Me Some Love Hopscotch from The Inspired Treehouse We love this sweet hopscotch game because it combines movement and […]
[…] is the cutest Hopscotch I have ever seen. Inspired Treehouse’s Show Me Some Love activity is definitely going to pull on your heart […]