After you snuggle your child into his warm cozy bed, spend a little time winding down by playing one of these cool flashlight games. Simple, quick, and an easy way to end the day with some one on one time with mom or dad. These fun bedtime activities for kids are sure to be requested again tomorrow night !
WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Flashlight
WHAT TO DO:
1. Flashlight memory: Turn out the lights so the room is completely dark and allow your child to flip on her flashlight. Call out an item in the child’s room and see if she can recall where it is, shining the flashlight on it as quickly as possible. Examples: a particular stuffed animal, a picture hanging on the wall, or books.
2. Light Up Letters: Use the flashlight to practice “writing” letters, numbers, and shapes on the ceiling as you lie in bed. Guide the child’s hands as necessary. Can they spell out their names? Draw a smiley face? Count aloud as they write numbers?
3. Let’s Go Camping!: Bury yourself and your child under the covers and read a book by the light of the flashlight for some sensory fun! If your little one is a reader, allow him to follow along, pointing the flashlight at the words as you read. Not reading yet? Allow him to hold the flashlight on the picture as they enjoy the story.
SKILL AREAS ADDRESSED: Grasp, fine motor skills, midline crossing, motor control, prewriting skills, sensory integration, visual motor integration, visual perceptual skills
Be sure to sign up to receive our newsletter – a weekly round-up of our favorite posts delivered right to your inbox! Simply enter your email address in the box in the sidebar and click “Subscribe”!
Looking for more fun activities for kids or want to find out more about child development?
Latest posts by Pam Braley (see all)
- 10 CLASSIC GAMES FOR THE BACKYARD - July 7, 2015
- GAMES FOR GROUPS: HAND CLAPPING GAMES FOR KIDS - May 19, 2015
- ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS: MOVEMENT BREAKS TO HELP KIDS STAY ALERT AND FOCUSED - August 17, 2014